Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chicken Empanada Pie

This is what's for dinner tonight!
I made a lil' mistake when I made this.  The recipe calls for 2 9" refrigerated pie crusts and I bought 2 frozen crusts.  This was supposed to make 1 pie with a top pie crust.
Soooooo....
I just doubled the recipe and omitted the top crust! It was wonderful topped with a little salsa.  Here's the recipe; make it their way or mine!  I highly recomend my way although I haven't tasted it "their" way yet!  My way has fewer carbs though!
Chicken Empanada Pie
  • 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
  • 1 8oz package shredded colby and monterey jack cheese
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
  •  1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 1 T ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2  9" refrigerated pie crusts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken and remaining 7 ingredients.  Place chicken mixture in one of the pie crusts.  Top with the other crust.  Pierce crust top to vent.  Bake in the middle of oven for 15 minutes or until brown.
(Up to this point, the recipe can be made ahead and frozen for up to 1 month).

My version is to double the recipe and use two frozen instead of refrigerated crusts. Omit top crust, Make two pies instead of one.  Freeze one for later. Top with some more cheese before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment